Saturday, April 3, 2010

weights

This week I amazed myself. Temporarily.

Using free weights, dumbbells only, I did an hour plus some workout for my upper body. Biceps, triceps, back, shoulders, chest. I started low in weights and was determined to seek that goal of finding the heaviest weights I could lift. I was thinking in the range I had been working out, eight to 12 pounds. I knew I would be going up to at least fifteen pounds this workout.

I started with ten pounds and increased to 12, then 15, then 18 pounds on each cycle, and did a decreasing amount of reps--12, 10, 8, 6. I even did an extra cycle of 12 pounds of ten reps.

What surprised me was that I could do more than I thought I could do. I was able to get up to 18 pounds, 6 reps, on dumbbell curls (biceps), dumbbell curls (triceps), one arm dumbbell rows (back), bent over raises (shoulders), and dumbbell bench press (chest).

I threw in a few more cycles of dumbbell flyes and seated dumbbell press, which is where I maxed out at 10 pounds, as well, a whole 'nother cycle of ten pounds, ten reps for all seven exercises, and my total weight lifted for that session was about TWO TONS! I was so surprised and proud of myself!

I was talking to my son, who powerlifts, and asked him how many pounds he typically lifts during a session. I knew it was going to be somewhere out there, but a girl has to have something to shoot for, right?

Ba-dum-dum. He said--oh, lemme add it up.....13,400 pounds. Nearly 7 tons!

I know I'll never reach that. I'm a girl and I'm pushing 54 years old. Not gonna happen. And not that I want to. That's not my goal. My goal is to do a time efficient workout, finding weights that are a little stressful, not impossible, and to leave me tired but not wasted.

And, honestly, it didn't occur to me until a couple of days later that, well, I was thinking way too small in terms of weight. I could do a more efficient workout if I could eliminate a few of the types of exercises I do and increase the weights. The plan is to lift four cycles, with increasing weights of 12, 15, 18, 21 for only five exercises--dumbbell curls (biceps), dumbbell curls (triceps), one arm dumbbell rows (back), bent over raises (shoulders), and dumbbell bench press (chest).

And let's see how that goes.

No comments: