Sunday, August 8, 2010

well.

"well."

Not in as "I did well", but rather, as in, "sigh".

In typical Barbie fashion, I couldn't leave well enough alone. Always gotta be tweaking and pushing forward. And I just have to rein myself in and not tweak so much that I hurt myself.

As it is just too durn hot to do most anything outdoors, I went to our beautifully appointed city fitness center. I walked a couple miles at 3.5 mph and rode the stationery cycle for 6.5 miles, 10mph/75rpm/level one. I also went to our subdivision's pool and "swam" 250 yards.

That night, my right knee was cussing me. And I think it was the cycling, because that's the only time my knee was uncomfortable. I think the 6.5 miles was too much.

And I just didn't know a think about riding a stationery bike. Heck, I had to ask how to turn it on. Oh, you have to actually start pedaling for it to turn on. Who knew?

I decided I needed to do some research. I dragged out the beloved Cooper aerobics book and started looking at what it recommended for old geezers like me. And good gracious, the plan doesn't call for riding 7.5 miles until the 15th week. Hmm.

While I was looking at the Cooper book goals, I made some new goals for walking. Cooper calls for swimming 300 yards the first week, too much. I'll work up to that.

The next workout I also went to the workout center. I walked two miles at 4mph, 30 minutes. And I planned to ride the stationery bike at 15mph/55rpm for 4 minutes. (that's 1 mile, geez.) It took some fiddling and diddling with the levels to get comfortably to that goal, but I ended up at level 12/13 to get there. And I ended up riding for 10 minutes. (that's 2.5 miles--I'm smoking, folks!) I didn't always stay as high as 15mph, but my knee isn't screaming at me today, either. I plan on doing this workout for a few more times before moving ahead.

And, finally, I went to the pool and "swam" for 200 yards. That wasn't my goal, but there were a lot of kids at the pool, and they were swimming across the pool, instead of with the lanes. I am beginning to think I need to consider the pool at the fitness center earlier than I had planned. They always have lanes open just for lap swimming. But for me, it's an embarrassment thing. No one in the lanes swims as poorly as I do, or is as heavy as I am. My goal is to continue to improve my swimming skills and lose enough weight by the time our outdoor pool closes so that I can swim laps at the indoor pool, which I am guessing (unable to find info at the hoa website) is 4-6 weeks away. I can do it.

No comments: